Sugar Research Institute of Fiji ( SRIF)
Sugar Research Capacity Building and Improvement of Cane Production
The programme is designed to upgrade research capacity for the Sugar Research Institute of Fiji. The focus is on the following:
1) Direct support to SRIF for development of important infrastructure for breeding activities, activate research programs, support for equipment, develop human resources, and encourage growers to adopt better production practices.
2) Indirect support to growers by improving the sugar cane sector in supporting research through SRIF and the Farmer Advisory Services of FSC, Fairtrade associations, Sugar Cane Growers Council (SCGC) and growers.
To improve the livelihoods of the cane farming communities and their dependents.
1. Cane variety improvement Programmes
2. Provide enough M1 seed-cane for replanting 4500 ha per annum
3. Research and Technological Transfer projects - grower demonstration trials, field days, farmer groups, training of extension officers in the Grower Advisory Services.
4. Staff development - training, workshops, seminars, studies, OHS
5. Commercial development - obtain land to farm & farm commercially, contract farm, sell seedcane and legume seeds to Fiji Sugar Cooperation, growers & others.
See More Project Photos
Location & Partners:
Sugar Research Institute of Fiji.
Vakabuli Rd, Drasa, Lautoka,
Phone: (679) 776-1839 Fax. (679) 666-1082